Oh, the venue search… I don’t think I really understood what an emotional rollercoaster searching for the right venue would be! We decided to see as many venues as we could in the space of two weeks as we didn’t want it to be a job that dragged on and on and on…
We had three rules:
- It can’t be somewhere I had worked (unfortunately this ruled out a few beauties)
- It should offer an outside ceremony option (because it will be glorious sunshine obviously!)
- It needs to be bloody gorgeous!!!
We saw ten venues in the North West, fell in love with three, provisional booked two and booked the one! I’ll post some individual blogs about a few of them over the next few weeks but until then, here are the places we’ve been to in no specific order:
- Thornton Manor
- Hilltop Country House
- West Tower
- Eaves Hall
- Dorfold Hall
- Colshaw Hall
- Merrydale Manor
- Heaton House Farm
- Owen House Barn
- Peckforton Castle
Here are some tips for finding the right one for you:
- View loads! It’s like buying a house, you don’t really know what you do/don’t want until you’ve seen it, I do recommend an intense weekend of viewings too.
- Think about what you want from your wedding. We wanted to make sure we were somewhere where guests could gather the evening before and the day after and unfortunately not many venues offer this.
- Try and go to open days, not only will this allow you to see the venue dressed but it’s also a good way to get a feel for a venue with people inside and meet some of the local suppliers.
- Don’t think about logistics. I went into each venue with the viewpoint that we wanted to find the right venue for us, not the one that meant the least hassle for our guests. There’s always a way to make things work!
- You will just fall in love, as I’m a massive softy I picked up a terrible habit of crying in the venues I loved the most